Over two and a half decades ago a few of us took a bold leap to invest in Syokimau. The courage of the daring frontrunners opened doors for more of us to follow. Today, more of us are here and one-by-one, as neighbours; we’ve come to appreciate that our shelters’ value and safety start way beyond our gates. Jointly, we therefore have a responsibility to own, secure, safeguard and uphold the vision of a better Syokimau under one family brand – Syokimau Residents Association (SRA)
OUR VISION: Improve the quality of life
OUR MISSION: Achieving More. Together!
SO WHAT IS SYOKIMAU RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION?
SRA, registered under the Laws of Kenya is a residential membership driven association focussed on sustaining orderly development, inform, educate and promote awareness among the residents on matters public service delivery.
WHY SYOKIMAU RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION?
SRA aims to realize a Kenyan society that enjoys a just, harmonious and dignified life in accordance with the Kenyan Vision 2030.
WHAT ARE THE SRA PROGRAMMES?
SRA’s principle activity is to improve access to public service delivery through advocacy especially on good governance and public accountability. To improve this, the SRA work focuses on Governance and Advocacy, Security, Safety and Disaster Management, Sustainable Environment Management and enhancing water, health and sanitation services.
HOW’S THE SRA GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE?
SRA operations, values and principles are guided by her Constitution, Rules and annual Strategic Plans. The highest organ of the association is the Annual General Meeting (AGM) which elects the secretariat comprising the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and Deputy Treasurer. The secretariat works with the multi-disciplinary committees composed of high caliber professionals in diverse fields who volunteer their time to the course of the SRA.
The executive committee comprises the secretariat as well as the team leaders of Legal Affairs, Land & Public Facilities, Security, Environment, Infrastructure & Transport, Water & Sanitation, Welfare & Publicity, Investments, Youth & Sports and Physical Planning Committees.
SRA nominees to oversight Governance, Audit, and Arbitration are proposed by each road zone members. Each zone nominates two members.
WHO ARE THE SRA PARTNERS?
SRA partners range from the Kenya Athletics Association, Syokimau Health Center, National Authority for Campaign Against Drugs Abuse (NACADA), Nyumba Kumi Initiatitive, WARMA, Mavoko Sub County.
WHICH ARE THE SRA LEAD NETWORKS?
SRA is a member of the Kenya Alliance of Resident Associations (KARA) that’s an affiliate member of the International Downtown Associations (IDA), Eastern Africa Federation of Residents Associations (EAFRA) and National Taxpayers Association (NTA).
WHAT BENEFITS DOES SRA OFFER ITS MEMBERS?
- SRA acquaints residents with aspects of development that they may not be aware of in Syokimau
- SRA upholds the value of property in Syokimau by petitioning against irregular construction approvals
- SRA protects the welfare, comfort and enjoyment of the residents by engaging authorities to offer security servces
- SRA assists in resolving disputes among residents as well as between businesses and residents
- SRA petitions against any undesirable construction plans passed by authorities
- SRA keeps the residents seeks for Community Development Fund (CDF) and keeps the residents informed on land rates and rebates if any charged by Sub-County
- SRA organizes the geographical territory of Syokimau by mounting directional signage on both trunk and feeder roads
- SRA ensures that environment is clean and no resident suffers as a result of irresponsible waste disposal
- SRA negotiates for special discounts and offers for residents holding eligible membership cards
- SRA celebrates heroes and heroines it identifies through volunteer leadership